…Amazing Animal Books
101 Facts… Earthquakes!
Over 101 amazing facts about this incredible phenomenon.
It contains facts, photos and awesome videos that show us more about how and why earthquakes happen.
Buy this book at AMAZON
Five Quick Facts:
- The San Andreas Fault in California moves about 2 inches (5 centimeters) a year. At this rate, San Francisco and Los Angeles will be sitting next to each other in about 15 million years.
- Eighty percent of the Earth’s largest earthquakes occur within the boundaries of the “Pacific Ring of Fire” – a horseshoe-shaped region in the Pacific Ocean.
- The ancient Japanese once believed that a giant catfish called Namazu was responsible for earthquakes.
- The first person to invent an earthquake detector was the Chinese astronomer, Zhang Heng. His invention could detect earthquakes more than 370 miles (600 kilometers) away!
- Earthquakes kill an average of 8000 people per year.
A detailed playlist of the videos is listed below.
- Earthquakes 101 by National Geographic
- Bill Nye the Science Guy – Earthquakes (richter scale)
- CNN Newsroom : Chile earthquake shortens day
- Earthquakes Compilation by Winluckfail Compilations
- Tsunamis Generated by Megathrust Earthquakes by IRIS EPO
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Earthquakes by TheWorldIsBiggerThanMe
- The San Andreas Fault and earthquakes by worldethq