Vampire Bat Facts!
Vampire bats are the only type of bats that survive solely on blood. Due to their bloody liquid diet, vampire bats have only a few teeth, though the ones they do have are razor sharp.
The vampire bat uses its teeth to shear away the fur or feathers from the victim’s skin before it feeds. It doesn’t actually suck the blood. After this shearing, the bat makes a small cut into the skin and laps up the blood with its tongue instead.
They can feed for about 20 to 30 minutes. They have a special substance in their saliva that keeps the victim’s blood from clotting while they feed.
They drink half their body weight in blood each night! They are also quick processors of their meals, which means they may begin getting rid of the waste products from their meal even while they are still feeding. In fact, vampire bats often have to pee before they fly off, or they’ll be too heavy to fly!
To learn more about Vampire Bats, see:
Vampire Bat Facts – Questions And Answers!
Vampire Bats are also mentioned in:
Top 10 Venomous Animals You Never Knew Were Venomous!
The YouTube video playlist below contains videos about Vampire Bats. Details of the videos featured are underneath.
- Vampire bats nesting in a cave – Expedition Guyana – BBC
- Part 1 Monsters by BBCPlanetWild
- World’s Deadliest : Vampire Bats by NatGeoWild
- Vampire Bats by NationalGeographic
- Vampire Bats Biting People by NationalGeographic·
- Blood Sucking Vampire Bats by oasishdchannel
- 15 Most Dangerous Animals in the Amazon Rainforest by IP Factly