The Narwhals are a whale species that lives in the cold waters of the Arctic. They are between 4 and 6 meters in length and have bluish-grey skin with white blotches, with the age of the narwhals determined by their skin color. Narwhals are darkest at birth and fade to almost entirely white when they are very old.
The diet of the narwhals consists of sea creatures such as fish, cod, shrimp, and squid. The narwhals’ skin is very rich in vitamin C. The Inuit people hunted the narwhals for their skin, tusks and also as a source of food.
The most distinguishing feature of the narwhals is their “tusk”. Mostly males have the tusk but about 15% of females also have the tusk though it is much shorter than the males’. The tusk grows throughout their life and can reach lengths of up to 10 ft. During medieval times, the narwhal tusks that washed up on shores where thought to be from the unicorns. The tusk is actually an extended canine tooth. The narwhals have two canine teeth; one extends to a tusk while the other remains in the mouth.
There have been some very rare incidents where a narwhal had two tusks. The outer part of the tusk is soft while the inner core is tough, this is very unlike other teeth, but makes the tusk flexible as well as strong. The exact function of the tusk is still uncertain.
The YouTube video playlist below contains videos about Narwhals. Details of the videos featured are underneath.
- World’s Weirdest : Narwhals by NatGeoWild. A narwhal’s tusk makes it weird among whales. It’s actually a tooth that can reach 10 feet in length, and scientists have numerous theories about its powers and purpose.
- Narwhals by NationalGeographic. This species of whale has an unusual and mysterious long horn, once harvested and sold as a unicorn horn for ten times its weight in gold!
- Swimming with Narwhal and Beluga – Baffin Island by ArcticKingdom1. Swimming with Narwhal and Beluga with snorkel or scuba gear on an Arctic Kingdom arctic trip to Baffin Island, Canada.
- Narwhal Fact Sheet: Diving with the Narwhal in Newfoundland Canada by OceanQuestAdventures. Narwhals are splendid creatures and will venture as far south as Newfoundland, despite being particularly suited for the arctic.
- Wild Detectives: Narwhal Tooth by NationalGeographic.Learn the truth behind a mystical creature that lives under the Arctic ice.